"This is the best dessert I've done so far" - that's what I heard when I served this cake. Nothing less, nothing more, this cake is simply a dream come true to anybody with a sweet tooth.
Amazing meringue with pieces of walnut, all covered with cream and strawberry purée and topped with fresh strawberries. It is ideal delicacy that we can serve at a posh party or just like that, out of a desire to make myself feel better.
I know that I often write that I highly recommended something, but this cake you really have to make! I know that as soon as you put this cake on the table, your guests will be speechless. At a first bite, you will see a big smile on their faces.
This cake is not difficult (so I thought at the beginning). It does not take much time. Meringues can be prepared the day before or even a month in advance and freeze. But it has to be assembled just before serving.
And now march to get some fresh strawberries that you can easily find in stores now.
This recipe, slightly modified by me, comes from "Good Food. Dinner-party dishes" Publishing BBC Books 2012.
- 175g/6oz walnuts, toasted
- 6 egg whites
- 225g demerara sugar
- 225g fine white sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar Cream
- 1kg/2lb/4oz fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 50g/2oz icing sugar, plus extra for decorating
- 600ml double cream
2. Prepare two pieces of baking paper. On both draw a circle with a diameter of 20cm.Turn the paper over and place on a baking sheet.
3. In a blender mix 2/3 of walnuts, very finely. Chop the remaining part a little bit.
4. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
5. Add the sugar, but do it in 3 batches. Every time whisk until you get stiff peaks again.
6. Add corn flour and vinegar. Beat until glossy.
7. Fold in the finely chopped nuts and most of the roughly chopped (leave a little bit, they sprinkled the top of meringue), than divide the meringue mixture between two circles. Sprinkle with the rest of the walnuts nuts
8. Bake for 1 hour. After this time, turn the oven off and leave the meringues to cool completely, with closed doors. It takes quite a bit of time, but it is necessary. Otherwise the meringue will not dry enough.
9. Mix 600g strawberry to get purée.
10. Add 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and stir thoroughly.If you do not want to feel the seeds of strawberries, strain the purée through a sieve.
11. Add the remaining icing sugar to the cream and whisk it to get very stiff peaks.
12. Add 2/3 of the strawberry purée to the cream and stir a bit, but don't do it too much.
13. Spread the cream mixture between two meringues. Pour each of them with the remaining strawberry purée.
14. Place one meringue on top of the other, and spread fresh strawberries on top. Sprinkle top with icing sugar. Serve immediately.